Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Week 24: Dec 7 - 11

Carpet went in this week. The first day they focused on placing the tack strip and pad.


We went with an 8lb pad throughout the house and a tempurpedic type pad in the living room. From what I learned about carpet the quality of the pad is just as important as the quality of the carpet when talking about the longevity of the product. We were encouraged to get a top quality pad and a medium grade carpet. We ended up choosing a carpet with a variety of colors to go into all of the kids bedrooms knowing that the walls would be a variety of colors during the kids growing up years. The remainder of the upstairs is a comfortable thick carpet that I hope will provide a nice place to hang out. The stairs and living room are a short fiber carpet with floral design. The floral design made me a little nervous. I live in a yellow house with carpeting that has a floral design. I don't know what that says about my manhood other than that Viki can make me do about anything. Now that the carpet is down I don't think the floral pattern looks too bad. The study and master share the color of the floral carpet but I couldn't go as far as having floral designed carpet in my study or bedroom so I talked Viki into a longer fiber.


This is the floral pattern up close.





This is the floral pattern look from a distance. The farther away from the carpet you get the more the pattern tends to blend in.



Tom and I installed all of the interior doors which included all of the hinges and door knobs. We have gone with a flared handle on the door knobs in a rubbed bronze color. Stamped on one side of the hinge is a manufacturing label. I thought it would be wise to mount all of the hinges the same way so I placed this manufacturing label in the same place on each door. Unfortunately, not all of our doors swing in the same direction and by mounting all of the hinges the same way I ended up placing some hinges upside down. As it turns out, doors that swing right have all of the hinges mounted correctly and those doors that swing left have all of the hinges upside down. I am leaving them in place!!! Growing up I often heard that having cows would drive anyone to swear and cuss. I now believe that building a house will drive anyone to swear and cuss.


We had our final occupancy inspection and were dinged on three items. All three items are now corrected and the inspector is scheduled to return again on Monday 12-14.
First, we need to post our address on the home so that EMS can find us in an emergency.
Second, all of the heating grates need to be in place.


Third, we need to have a 3' x 3' porch out the back sliding glass door. Viki asked the inspector if we could move in even with the need to make the three corrections. He said that we should not but that everyone does. So, we started moving in!!

It has been quite a bit of work getting everything packed, loaded, hauled and placed in the new house. Viki led the effort of packing as dealing with the madness of organizing and sorting everything while dealing with all of the kids put me into a serious bad mood. I did best just to mind my business and lift and haul boxes. 4" of snow on the day of the move added to the excitement. I have a feeling that we won't be fully moved in for at least a month.




3 comments:

  1. Greg,
    The fact that you have a yellow house with floral patterning carpet doesn't mean you're a girl, it means you're a polynesian...lol. We love flowers and color... even the guys so, ALOHA!

    Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. At least you'll be in one place and not traveling back and forth from house to house. I love all that you've done. Now the recuperation can begin and all that patience (not have to be on the brink of cussing and swearing :)) can begin!! Yay! Would love to see it, haha someday :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is seriously so awesome! You guys have done such a good job! It must be even more satisfying to have been such a huge part of this project. Yeah! And we hope to make it up there someday...when things thaw.

    ReplyDelete